Table Of Contents
symptoms of high blood sugar in non diabetics
What is high blood sugar in non diabetics? The most important symptoms of high blood sugar in non diabetics patients, this is we will talk about.
1. introduction To Pre-diabetes
“What should I have for lunch today; pizza, burger, or pasta?”
“Should we take the car, a taxi, or a bus?” These are everyday speeches that are major risk factors to one of the world’s most deleterious diseases: Diabetes.
Diabetes is having high blood sugar level that causes harm to the body’s cells and nerves.
The question here is if you are not diagnosed with diabetes are you safe? The answer is a resounding NO!
as pre-diabetes can affect your health on the long term. pre-diabetes means high blood sugar in non diabetics .
Pre-diabetes is when the blood sugar level is higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
High blood glucose in non diabetics is a globally growing health problem affecting 1 in 3 people. Pre diabetics progress to diabetes type 2 in most cases if left untreated.
2. Predisposing factors to diabetes
Pre diabetes , or high blood sugar in non diabetics, can affect basically anyone but there are some factors that make you more liable to symptoms of high blood sugar in non diabetics.
- If you have a sedentary lifestyle that increases your risk to have high blood sugar as a non diabetic.
- Also if your body mass index (BMI) is higher than 25 or if your most your weight is around your waist/ abdomen that may increase your risk to have symptoms of high blood sugar in non diabetics .
- A high carbohydrate diet also is one important factor.
- Your genes also are not to be ignored. If any of your parents or siblings have diabetes, you might want to get your blood sugar
High blood sugar in non diabetics is prevalent in certain races as Afrocarribean, South Asian, and Native American.
- If you are over 45 years or above 25 with high blood pressure or low HDL ( healthy cholesterol) that increases your risk.
- If you are a married female and had gestational diabetes or gave birth to baby 4 kgs or more you should check your blood sugar frequently after frequency.
3. Symptoms of high blood sugar in non diabetics
High blood sugar in non diabetics has no clear symptoms but it may cause associations as:
- polycystic ovaries.
- acanthosis nigras: dark colored velvety skin patches that appear around the knees, elbows, armpit, neck, or knuckles.
If you have a high blood sugar you might experience the symptoms of diabetes which are:
- frequent urination.
- fatigue especially at night.
- wounds that heal slowly.
- unexplained gain of weight.
There are several tests that you can do to make sure of the diagnosis. Taking a blood sugar sample is the easiest of all. A fasting blood sugar higher than 100 mg/dL and less than 140 mg/dL is usually diagnostic. Taking the test twice however is more definite.
A more confirmative test is the hemoglobin A1C test or glycosylated hemoglobin test. This test measures your average blood sugar in the last two or three months. This test requires no fasting and a value higher than 5.7% and less than 6.7% is usually diagnostic of high blood sugar in non diabetics.
4. Treatment of high blood sugar in non diabetics
Although the condition is dangerous it’s not inevitable. Symptoms of High blood sugar in non diabetics is reversible by shifting to a healthier lifestyle.
Eating a diet higher in protein and fibers and lower in carbohydrates and fats is usually helpful.
Proteins and fibers are harder to digest and therefore keep your blood glucose near to normal for a long time.
Carbohydrates and fats although give an immediate sense of fullness are easy to digest and cause a fast rise in glucose levels which are short timed but still a danger. Also eating smaller meals more frequently is very beneficial.
Fasting causes your body to absorb and store more sugar from your next meal thereby causing you a high blood sugar level.
Exercising is a great way to keep your blood sugar level normal. Some exercises may increase your blood sugar level so make sure you are doing the type of exercise suitable to your body’s needs. Walking is one great way to lower your blood sugar and help you lose your abdominal weight and keep your body weight within normal. Walking to your work, riding a bicycle, or hitting the gym are fun add ups to your daily routine that work like magic.
Sometimes the doctor may add a medication to your treatment but to sum up high blood sugar in non diabetics although dangerous can be easily controlled and treated by following a healthier diet and keeping away from a sedentary lifestyle. And remember not having diabetes doesn’t mean you can have sugar spikes that can be harmful to your health.